Wednesday, August 18, 2010


The final performance that I would like to describe to you took place on August 15, 2010 from 2-4:30 p.m. at Bayard Cutting Arboretum.  It was an outdoor concert performed by Ahmad Ali and friends.
I have always enjoyed attending concerts at the Arboretum because it is a nice, relaxing atmosphere.  It was a really great day- not too sunny with a little bit of wind to keep it just cool enough.  
I thought the performance itself was also fantastic.  Ali and friends had a very interesting sound that was kind of a cross between jazz and blues styles of music.  It was also nice to hear a few recognizable tunes.  I think it is important for a group that performs mainly covers to mix in some well known songs so that the audience can really participate.  
I enjoyed the music enough to purchase a $5 CD during the performance.  I was kind of disappointed with the CD when I listened to it later because it was much slower paced and very instrumentally based.  Ahmad Ali's very cool blues/jazz voice was a large part of what made his live performance so appealing.  My disappointment may be in part due to the fact that I bought the $5 CD with only 8 songs rather than the $10 one with 12.
CD aside, however, I found the concert to be both fun and entertaining.


So, the decision has been made- I will be attending the Philadelphia Folk Festival.  I will be leaving on thursday and I will try to keep a running set of notes as before.  When I will get to actually posting is a whole other story however, considering that I have 3 days to get ready to leave for school after I return.  I will do my best though, wish me luck :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment