Sunday, August 15, 2010

Okay, I'm gonna back track a little to some concerts that I attended earlier on in the summer.  This is tapping pretty deep in my memory, so bare with me.
On June 29th, 2010 I traveled to the Broadway Bar in Amityville, New York to attend a battle of the bands competition.  It was mainly metal music, which is kind of out of my element, but I actually really enjoyed it.  Some of the stuff was a bit heavy for my taste but there's something nice about having a balance of heavy music in combination with some more lyrical and melodic phrases.  The battle of the bands consisted of about 7 or 8 bands competing for the big win.  I made it to the bar only in time to see the last 3 bands perform.  
The first band was Kristy's Corner Store (http://www.myspace.com/kristyscornerstore).   They were really very good in my opinion, however I would hardly classify them as metal.  They fit more in the rock category.  The lead singer had a wonderful voice and that blended very well the other instruments.  Just coming into the bar not knowing what to expect, I must say that I was impressed by how well they performed.  That doesn't change the fact that I feel as if they really didn't fit in well with the rest of the performing groups.
The second band was an older group of men.  I honestly for the life of me cannot remember the band name.  There is also a definite chance that I never knew the band name to begin with.  Anyway, this band was my least favorite of the three that I saw.  The entire time the lead singer was screaming I kept  feeling like he was gonna bust an artery or something.  Maybe it was just because of how old he was, but I also think that part of it was a pained expression on his face.  On top of that- I didn't find them very enjoyable to listen to.  Granted, metal music is not really a genre that I am very accustomed to listening to and perhaps that is why I found them much too heavy.  For me I want to at least be able to hear that real words are being sung.  It also helps for there to be some kind of melodic organization.
The final group that performed was Psykosis (http://www.myspace.com/walkingplagueband).  This band originates from my neck of the woods and they were the reason that I attended the concert in the first place.  I was very impressed with their performance.  They definitely exemplified my definition of metal.  Their drummer was sublime and apparently picked up on the songs with little to no practice.  The songs had great beats which made them very danceable.  The guitarists were very talented and created a nice melodic base and on occasion I could even hear the words.  Most importantly, Psykosis was the most successful when it came to audience participation.  It probably helped that most of the audience was there specifically to see them.  Whatever the reason, the audience was at their loudest and the most involved during the Psykosis performance.  Many of the audience members also proudly donned Psykosis t-shirts.  Throughout the course of their performance one of the guitar players, JD McGibney, climbed off the stage and began walking around among the audience members while continuing to play.  This allowed the audience to really interact with the performers and feel like they were really a part of the show.  Toward the end of the performance a few of the band members became too hot apparently and stripped themselves of their t-shirts.  
In the end Kristy's Corner Store ended up winning the battle of the bands.  As talented as they were, I had been under the impression that it was supposed to be more of a metal competition than a rock competition.  All in all, however, I really enjoyed the concert.  More than anything else, it allowed me to broaden my horizons a bit and remove myself from my musical comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment